Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Shakespeare's Anti-Love Sonnet

William Shakespeare's "My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun" is a classic love poem that I have read for many English classes throughout high school and college. It describes a woman that he loves, but in a not so flattering way. He doesn't compare her cheeks to roses, in fact, he says he sees no such roses in her cheeks. He doesn't say she has a sweet smell about her, instead he says "And in some perfumes is there more delight / Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks" (7).  In class on Monday, we had a debate about whether "My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun" is a good love poem or not. Most of the class agreed that if they were given this poem by a lover, they would be insulted. However, Dr. Reed told us he thinks it's a beautiful love sonnet. To be honest, my opinion is somewhere in the middle. The beauty of poetry is that you can create wonderful images and develop a pleasing aesthetic. Shakespeare kind of does this and kind of doesn't in this sonnet. He sees the beauty in his lover's imperfections, but at the same time, he blatantly points them out. I think it's kind of a pretty poem, but I wouldn't be flattered if my love compared my hair to black wires.

No comments:

Post a Comment